Thursday, August 21, 2008

OTHERings

A Naxi insult I learned

A Naxi grandma comes up to her friend.
--"Do you have the cards you promised you'd bring me today?"
--"Euuhh, I forgot."
--"Ah! 3 generations of your mommy!"

I have NO idea what it means, but it is quite the insult! Resulted in some hearty laughs.

Some Dongba Poetry
Sayings provided by the Dongba Research Institute.

Plow the fields before you are hungry,
Dig the well before you are thirsty.

>>
The Yulong Mountain towers into the sky,
The Jinsha River winds round the earth

>>
There are lofty pines on the mountain
Because there is nurturing water and soil.

And my personal favorite:

Trees in deep soil will not fall,
Wells in fertile valleys will not dry.

The Naxi have a history of bountiful resources. It really is reflected in their overwhelming trust that Nature will Provide.

No comments: